Nitrates dropping on their own?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nitrates dropping on their own?

Did I test my water wrong? I use the API master test kit..Still cycling my water, its been a month now.

Yesturday I tested my water and had 40ppm nitrAte. 24 hours later, its 5ppm! Whats up with that? Still getting 5ppm of nitrItes... I did not do a water change.

Did you shake both test bottles before adding them to the water?
    I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Originally posted by myjohnson View Post
      Did you shake both test bottles before adding them to the water?
      This is very important. You can get away with a quick shake on the first nitrate test bottle, but the second one has to be shaken for about 30 seconds before you use it.

If you are using Stability, it can somehow drop your nitrate. I don't know if it actually drops the levels or alters the test somehow to show little or now nitrate, but I've seen it happen before in my tanks. Weird. Still, I'd do a water change if you have fish in there. If not, leave it be and let the cycle finish.

You can do a dilution as well with your test kit to see exactly how much nitrite you have. Just add half aquarium water and half tap water and then test it for nitrite. Then double the number of nitrites you have (as long as it's under 5 ppm) and that's how much nitrite you have. If it's still 5 ppm with the 50% dilution, then add about a quarter aquarium water and the rest tap water, and multiply the reading by 4. And so on.
      All bleeding stops eventually...

Comment

Well I dont usually "shake" the first test bottle, I give it a little fling, but I do shake the second test bottle for 30 whole seconds then shake the test tube for 1 whole minute, then set it aside and read it in 5 minutes.
        Its just weird, I did everything the same and its such a big change..its weird. There are NO fish in there. I have been using stresszyme for about 3-4 days. thats the only thing ive done different.
        I dont really understand the last paragraph from aquabee.

Comment

When your nitrites read 5 ppm, which is the maximum, it's impossible to know whether you have 5 ppm or a level that's higher than the test can read. So what you do is in your test tube, add half tap water and half aquarium water til you reach the line. And then add the 5 drops from the nitrite tester bottle as usual. If you get a reading of 4 ppm on that, your nitrites are really at 8 ppm because in your test tube, you have half no-nitrites (tap water) and half nitrites from your tank water. It's not necessary but just a way of knowing the exact number when your nitrites are too high for your test kit to read.

You know my recommendation already... Stability!

Comment

Ok I got it. Its 9/6/11 and my Nitrates are still reading 0-5ppm. This is nuts, how did I go from 160ppm of nitrates to 0-5ppm without doing a water change? Its like I'm going backwards! I'm still getting a reading of 5ppm or probably more on my Nitrite, ( I have not tried that half tap water, half tank water yet) and dosing each day with ammonia to 4 ppm and getting a 0ppm reading of ammonia everyday. I guess I'll just keep using the stresszyme on it? I feel like taking everything out of my tank and cleaning it and starting over.
            Thanks your all your suggestions..this is so frustrating.

Comment

Do you have any plants in the tank? What all is in the tank right now? Is everything new? ie - Substrate, decor, rocks, driftwood, filter/media, etc.
              Our Fishhouse
              Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine.

Comment

I do have plants in the tank. I have tan colored gravel, new out of the bag, did not rinse it before I put it in the tank though. I have a plastic castle thingy. The day I set up the tank I planted these little bulbs from petsmart (3 total), not sure of the name will look at that tonight when I get home. Anyways, they grew up and looked great! I was so proud being a newbie and all. Then, about 6 days ago, they started turning brown and translucent, compared to their usual bright green. then they got worse and worse, so 2 days ago, I pulled them out and planted new ones, which are already taking off, I will get the name of them for you if thats important to know.
                Okay..I should have mentionted this before...My mom gave me this plant food in a bottle. I used it once, and thats when I noticed the plants went to shi*t. I will also get the name of it tonight for you, around 6ish. I know I should have mentioned this, Im so ashamed!

Comment

Everything was new, yes. all except for a handful of gravel from my sisters established tank the day I set it up. Its been running since 8/31/11

Comment

Just take time for a tank to cycle. Your test results will probably be all over the place till everything cycles.
                    Mentally Challenged

My Flickr

Comment

Woops! , I meant since 7/31/11. its been over a month. but Okay, Ill give it more time.

Comment

Originally posted by 987klb View Post
                        Woops! , I meant since 7/31/11. its been over a month. but Okay, Ill give it more time.
                        Yea there is no exact timeline for tanks to cycle. Just keep up the water changes and wait...
                        Mentally Challenged

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by 987klb View Post
                          I do have plants in the tank. I have tan colored gravel, new out of the bag, did not rinse it before I put it in the tank though. I have a plastic castle thingy. The day I set up the tank I planted these little bulbs from petsmart (3 total), not sure of the name will look at that tonight when I get home. Anyways, they grew up and looked great! I was so proud being a newbie and all. Then, about 6 days ago, they started turning brown and translucent, compared to their usual bright green. then they got worse and worse, so 2 days ago, I pulled them out and planted new ones, which are already taking off, I will get the name of them for you if thats important to know.
                          Okay..I should have mentionted this before...My mom gave me this plant food in a bottle. I used it once, and thats when I noticed the plants went to shi*t. I will also get the name of it tonight for you, around 6ish. I know I should have mentioned this, Im so ashamed!
                          Don't be ashamed, I should have asked much earlier! That's your answer! Mystery solved. Plants utilize the nitrates to grow. And that also explains why your plants started to die...probably at the same time your nitrates started to diminish. It's all about balance.

Ammonia > Nitrites > Nitrates -- then plants absorb the Nitrates (Nitrogen) to grow. But Nitrates can also cause algae blooms, so if the Nitrates rise faster than plants can use them, the plants can become covered in algae and die. On the other hand, if the plants absorb the Nitrates faster than the cycle can produce more, plants that require Nitrogen will starve and die. It's really dependent on the plant. Some plants require fertilizer, some require a certain amount of light, and some will require CO2, but they will all feed on the nitrates. That's a really simplified answer...plants are pretty complicated, but it's a start.

If you can find out what kind of plants you have, and what that plant food is, we can probably get a better picture of what is going on in your tank.
                          Our Fishhouse
                          Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine.

Comment

+1!!!!

Comment

Oh goodness! thank you thank you thank you all! I can stop racking my brain now! Ill GET you those names for sure! woo hoo...:)

Comment

Working...
                              X