No announcement yet.

Nitrates dropping on their own?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok. The plants are called Aponogeton by Top Fin, and the plant food is by Aqueon and it just says "aquarium plant food". But, I had a big success today! I tested 160 ppm of Nitrates! So exciting.

Comment

I'm not sure which species you have, but I had Aponogeton boivinianus, and it grew crazy fast and got so tall I finally had to move it out into the pond! Even in a tank with medium light, no CO2, and no fertilizer, that plant got so big! The tank I had it in was overcrowded with fish, so I have no doubt it was getting what it needed from the nitrates.

Are you going to add fish to your tank, or are you going for a plant only tank?
      Our Fishhouse
      Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine.

Comment

Yes I do want to put fish in the tank, I was planning on a little friendly community tank. I LOVE LOVE LOVE those balloon belly mollies! They are freaking adorable. They look like midget fish! I may just get some of those guys..any really want some albino cory cats. I will do my best to keep it simple, as this is a learning expirence for me. I have officialy (not knowing) sabotaged my fishless cycle process 3 times! But it's ok, because I will definately know what NOT to do next time.

Its funny you say that that plant grows like crazy because I was thinking the same thing. I just thought I would have to trim it back every few weeks or something.
        Last edited by 987klb; 09-08-2011, 12:39 PM.

Comment

I don't think you've sabotaged your cycle at all. You just made it a little more difficult on yourself to tell when you were cycled. It sounds like you had ammonia, that was converted to nitrites, and then to nitrates. You just couldn't tell because your nitrates got eaten up by the plants! So if you are seeing 0 ammonia, and 0 nitrites, I'd say you are ready to add fish. Just be sure to get your nitrates down (either via the plants, or a water change) before adding the fish. I think the mollies could probably take it, but cories are sometimes sensitive.

Good luck! Be sure to post pics when you get your fish!
          Our Fishhouse
          Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine.

Comment

Thanks everyone, nice to have "back up" on the homelands..haha I'll definately gets some pics posted.

Comment

Working...
            X