Just upgraded to a big boy filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just upgraded to a big boy filter

Just moved up to a 2213 from an AC30 and have a few questions about it.
    How often should media changes/cleanups be done?
    Is there better media than what comes in an eheim?
    29 Gallon SA Tank -- 5 Bleeding Heart Tetras, Mated Pair of Angels, 7 Green Corys, and a Rubberlip Pleco

30 Gallon Breeder -- 20+ neon tetras, 3 albino cories, 2 albino bristlenose plecos, female betta, 1 angel

5 Gallon Shrimp Nano - Sakura Red Shrimp, Boraras Brigittae, Oto Cats, Olive Nerites, and Pink Ramshorn

Use the eheim media. Canister cleaning is based on bioload. I do my canisters about every 6 months or whenever the flow seems weaker than normal. Just hook it up and leave it be, it will be your new best friend.

Comment

Depending on your bio-load....I would clean that filter once every 4 to 6 weeks . Sure , you can go longer between cleanings.....but then that would defeat the purpose of having a filter . If you are going to leave poop in your filter for 6 months then.......you may as well just remove your filters from the tank....save some electricity.......and let the poop collect in your tank . I mean 6 months worth of poop in a filter has to raise your Nitrate level ...due to the fact that the poop is still in the loop .

Comment

Agreed. Alot depends on your bioload and water change schedule.

I usually try to do every other month. on my tanks that have one canister.
        Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
        Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
        Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
        Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris.d514 View Post
          Just moved up to a 2213 from an AC30 and have a few questions about it.
          How often should media changes/cleanups be done?
          Is there better media than what comes in an eheim?
          Lol, you silly man.
          I ate my fish that died.

Comment

In the tank (29 gallons) I have 7 blue tetras, 4 angels (2 about the size of a small orange and 2 the size of quarters), 4 corys, 2 mollys (about to be given to sister in law), and 100ish blue mystery snails(3 adults rest babies about pea size).
            29 Gallon SA Tank -- 5 Bleeding Heart Tetras, Mated Pair of Angels, 7 Green Corys, and a Rubberlip Pleco

30 Gallon Breeder -- 20+ neon tetras, 3 albino cories, 2 albino bristlenose plecos, female betta, 1 angel

5 Gallon Shrimp Nano - Sakura Red Shrimp, Boraras Brigittae, Oto Cats, Olive Nerites, and Pink Ramshorn

Comment

You do have big bio load. On a little tank. The eheim is a good filter but still needs to be cleaned. Not sure how often you do water changes but if you do 50% water change ones a week you can go a little longer on the filter. Still you need to clean the filter every 4 to 6 weeks. Your angelfish need to have fresh water to be healthy.
              You could start to rehoming some of those snails too.
              It was a good buy for your fish...
              Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

classic style eheim are kind of a pain. you need to clean the mech part often because the gunk trapped in the element is still leaching toxins into the water. if you break it all down then you disrupt the biomedia. one inexpensive solution that i read about recently is the JAQNO canister prefilter. Its about 30-40 bucks on ebay and comes with quick disconnects. i'm sure it isnt the highest quality but it seems to be servicable from what i read. Theres also one from Monarka that is smaller and about 50 bucks, but looks to be of good quality. you could stuff it with coarse pads and floss and let the eheim be mainly biomedia. best of both worlds IMO.
                75G Standard - High Light Planted Community Fish
                28G Aquapod - Medium Light Planted Shrimp & Microrasboras
                12G Eclipse - Bonsai Planted Betta & Shrimp
                29G Standard - Vivarium w/ Red Devil Crabs
                45G Exo-Terra - Terrarium w/ Hermit Crabs (in progress)
                33G Cubish - Vivarium w/ D.auratus 'blue & bronze'

GHAC Member

Comment

Thats a great idea! Never seen a prefilter like that and I imagine it would be far easier to access the detritus without disturbing the biomedia... Might have to give that a shot
                  In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
                  Desiderius Erasmus
                  GHAC President

Comment

Originally posted by mnemenoi View Post
                    Thats a great idea! Never seen a prefilter like that and I imagine it would be far easier to access the detritus without disturbing the biomedia... Might have to give that a shot
                    +1
                    20g mixed reef

Comment

I keep getting air bubble in my filter that make a loud noise til they are blown out. Is that normal? I have looked and found no leaks.

Comment

it normal when you first reprime it or perform maintenance. it shouldnt be happening during operation unless you have a pinched oring in the quick disconnects or body. also check to make sure your intake isnt near an airstone or co2 diffuser.
                        75G Standard - High Light Planted Community Fish
                        28G Aquapod - Medium Light Planted Shrimp & Microrasboras
                        12G Eclipse - Bonsai Planted Betta & Shrimp
                        29G Standard - Vivarium w/ Red Devil Crabs
                        45G Exo-Terra - Terrarium w/ Hermit Crabs (in progress)
                        33G Cubish - Vivarium w/ D.auratus 'blue & bronze'

GHAC Member

Comment

Originally posted by Totenkampf View Post
                          it normal when you first reprime it or perform maintenance. it shouldnt be happening during operation unless you have a pinched oring in the quick disconnects or body. also check to make sure your intake isnt near an airstone or co2 diffuser.
                          +1

You can also try shaking the canister get any trapped air out
                          http://www.facebook.com/DAScolorado

Comment

Working...
                          X