Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 55 or 75 gallon tank

FishBlock -

You can oxygenate the water several ways. With all of the below option I would keep the powerhead with each option.

1. Keep your powerhead.
    2. Add another big HOB. (ex. Emp. 400 , Aqua Clear 110)
       ( I like the Aqua Clear 110 because of the media capacity and optons, plus it moves a lot of water.)
    3. You can add air pump and air stone.
       ( Don't like this idea because it only oxygenates. I figure if I got to burn electricity, I may as well add another filter.)
    4. Add a canister filter that has a spray bar.(ex. Eheim , Rena , Fluval)
       (I like this option best because of the many options and the flexability. This option will cost more but the benefits are well worth the cost. You could let the canister do all of your biological filtration and load the Emp. 400 with poly fill and let it handle the mechanical.)

Keep in mind that I do not know how many Discus you plan to keep, but Option #4 gives you alot of "head room."

Comment

air pumps with air stones or a power head with an air intake tube.
      I love my Fahaka "Peter" puffer.

Comment

All the above mentioned will increase oxygen levels in the tank.

additionally, a wet/dry system would work well.  You will get great bio filtration and good oxygenation.
        I ate my fish that died.

Comment

What you want is to agitate the water surface which aids in the gas exchange..... then you want flow to efficiently circulate the water in the tank up to the water surface.
          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I think in general water movement in a tank is good, not just for oxygenation.

The movement of water performs several vital functions. First of all, it prevents thermal layering.

Second, water movement provides the fishes with a current in which to swim.

The third reason why water movement is beneficial is because it prevents the formation of a protein film on the surface of the water.

The next two reasons are perhaps the most important. By having your water constantly moving, you increase the surface area of your tank. The layer in contact with the air is always changing and consequently you dramatically increase the rate at which oxygen can be dissolved into the water, and carbon dioxide is released from the water.

The fifth reason why we should pay attention to water movement is because moving water carries oxygen to the denitrifying bacteria in your tank’s substrate.  And most harmful bacteria are anaerobic. That means that they thrive best in conditions with little to no oxygen.
            I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Working...
            X