prep of a "new" old tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• prep of a "new" old tank

I bought a 75 gallon Oceanic tank with some holy rock and drift wood.
    Whats the best way to clean the tank and rock to get ready for fish?
    whats the best filter to get started with for 5 small angels and 4 rams and a school of cardinals, to start off with?
    75g - Tiger Barbs, Cherry Barbs, Sword tails
    30Hex - Angle's, Rasbora

Re: prep of a "new" old tank

I would give it all a good rinse and possibly dry out some of the decoration in the sun.

Other then that you should be good unless some really harsh meds was used previously. The Holey rock might not be too ideal for those types of fish though.
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

never used holy rock before, why do you say its not a good idea?
      30Hex - Angle's, Rasbora

Comment

Hoely rock is limestone.... the fish you listed prefer acidic/neutral water.
        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

got ya,  

the little piece of drift wood has some old  dried up algae, (looks like moss on a tree) whats the best way to remove it? scrub the wood or jest let it be?
          30Hex - Angle's, Rasbora

Comment

If it is moss then it should just peel right off being dried... if it is algae then a bit of a scrub or scraping will get it right off. I don't think it will be a problem though or at least to me it doesn't pose a threat.
            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Originally posted by FishBlock";p="
              I bought a 75 gallon Oceanic tank with some holy rock and drift wood.
              Whats the best way to clean the tank and rock to get ready for fish?
              whats the best filter to get started with for 5 small angels and 4 rams and a school of cardinals, to start off with?
              In regards to filtration, if you are not going to make this a planted tank I would put a wet/dry on it.
              I ate my fish that died.

Comment

right now I'm planning on using plastic and silk plants. I've never been able to keep a live plant alive.
                I'm using pebble size river stone (slightly larger than fish store standard gravel)

right now I was thinking about an emperor 400 filter, an undergravel filter with a power head and a sponge air bubblier/filter.
                30Hex - Angle's, Rasbora

Comment

dish the undergravel filter. Go with Aquaclear for your filtration.

Comment

The tank came with the underground filter, i was going to use the powerhead to move water across the tank, I just figured if I was going to use the powerhead might as well use it with the ugf.
                    30Hex - Angle's, Rasbora

Comment

I started keeping fish back when UGF's where run by air lines, there where no Power Heads back in those days, but even with PH's now, I am not sure the UGF is really worth the trouble. I am currently running two tanks with UGF's, and I kind of wish I was not. The tubes are not very attractive and I am not convinced they are very efficient in the long run.

If you use your gravel vacuum regularly, and keep a good strong PH with a sponge filter on it, along with the proper canister or HOB, you will achieve similar if not better overall results with your water quality.

CF
                      Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

Originally posted by CichlidFan";p="
                        I started keeping fish back when UGF's where run by air lines, there where no Power Heads back in those days, but even with PH's now, I am not sure the UGF is really worth the trouble. I am currently running two tanks with UGF's, and I kind of wish I was not. The tubes are not very attractive and I am not convinced they are very efficient in the long run.

If you use your gravel vacuum regularly, and keep a good strong PH with a sponge filter on it, along with the proper canister or HOB, you will achieve similar if not better overall results with your water quality.

CF
                        +1
                        25g - Reef
                        3.5g - Surge Tank
                        10g - Ichthyophthirius multifilis breeding colony

Comment

ok, ditch  the under gravel filter,
                          would I be ok with 2 emporer 400's, and a spung filter?
                          30Hex - Angle's, Rasbora

Comment

you would be ok......but dude just get a wet/dry.

with all that money you spent a wet/dry doesn't cost too much more.
                            I ate my fish that died.

Comment

That is one of the main attractions to me for using a emperor, the bio wheel emulates the Wet Dry to some degree. Anywhere you have air and water consistantly running over media that can support a colony of bacteria, you basically do have a wet dry, only real difference is the amount of water being treated is far greater with a true Wet Dry filter.

That's my understanding anyway....

CF
                              Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

Working...
                              X