Help ID this star fish.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help ID this star fish.

Found this guy today must have been hiding there for at least 3 months becouse i havent added anything in a long time. anyone have any idea what kind of starfish it is and if it is reef safe?

--I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.
    -Stephen Roberts

asterina star
    25g - Reef
    3.5g - Surge Tank
    10g - Ichthyophthirius multifilis breeding colony

Comment

Help ID this star fish.

Ok I did some research on asterina starfish turns out they ear coraline algae .... so I defantly want to get rid of them. you think a harlequin shrimp is a good idea. After it eats all the asterina how do you feed one?

--I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.
      -Stephen Roberts

Comment

Its an asterina star. There are many types of asterinas. Most are harmless and even beneficial as clean up crew.

I haven't heard of asterinas eating coraline algae, if they do, they are not doing a very good job at all in my tanks. I'm having to scrape coraline off my back wall every week. In fact, looks like your mag-cleaner might need a couple of asterinas if they do indeed eat coraline.

I'd personally leave it alone unless you see it attacking coral.
        www.ventralfins.com

Comment

I'd keep it. Looks kinda cute. :)
          Fish are people too, they just have gills.

Comment

They are supposed to eat coraline as stated, however, I have yet to see them do any impact. I probably have about 30 of them in various sizes all over the tank. Every now and then I see then attached to my snails.

Comment

Help ID this star fish.

Any one have any real world experance with harlequin shrimp? How much starfish. Do they eat?

-Stephen Roberts

Comment

Wouldn't buy a H. shrimp. Asterina starfish are perfectly normal. It will take years to have a population that can make a dent on the coraline in a properly cared for aquarium. I have tons and several diff kinds. Yes they do eat the purple stuff (among other algae), but they will also possibly spread Coraline. When they eat coraline they may make a white spot, but in 2 days that spot will be back to purple. If you are considering a H. shrimp, at least wait a few years for your starfish population to get going. H. shrimps will eat large and small starfish, and starfish are an expensive food source. I would never buy a shrimp to kill off some of the best cleaners in the tank. Besides most people that buy these picky eaters are either ill informed on there purchase, and dont have the $ to feed them. The cons out weigh the pros on this shrimp in my opinion. Besides if you have a problem with them just pick a few out from time to time when your cleaning.
                75gal reef aka the $$$$ pit.

Comment

Wouldn't buy a H. shrimp. Asterina starfish are perfectly normal. It will take years to have a population that can make a dent on the coraline in a properly cared for aquarium. I have tons and several diff kinds. Yes they do eat the purple stuff (among other algae), but they will also possibly spread Coraline. When they eat coraline they may make a white spot, but in 2 days that spot will be back to purple. If you are considering a H. shrimp, at least wait a few years for your starfish population to get going. H. shrimps will eat large and small starfish, and starfish are an expensive food source. I would never buy a shrimp to kill off some of the best cleaners in the tank. Besides most people that buy these picky eaters are ill informed on there purchase, and dont have the $ to feed them. The cons out weigh the pros on this shrimp in my opinion. Besides if you have a problem with them just pick a few out from time to time when your cleaning.

Comment

OMG that is too cute! How do you end up with these guys in a tank, hitch hike with live rock?
                    "I will not buy another fish, I will not buy another fish....dang where did that come from???" )

Comment

you can get them in on rock, and coral. They will eventually show up in your tank, just like collonista snails. But dont worry they just eat algae.

Comment

Originally posted by tang-chaser View Post
                        you can get them in on rock, and coral. They will eventually show up in your tank, just like collonista snails. But dont worry they just eat algae.
                        Just my luck, the LFS I got my Live Rock from keeps it quite a while to make sure there are no hitch hikers. I think they are too cute and I know my daughter would have a fit over them.
                        "I will not buy another fish, I will not buy another fish....dang where did that come from???" )

Comment

Working...
                        X