Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From that article... sea cucumber's self defense is to self destruct.

Do you think the rest of your tank would appreciate that? Also there was no predator from what you have posted, only a feeding regime so with that said you will be stressing this cucumber into self destructing every time you feed the tank.

It's great that you are doing some research on it but the more ideal approach would have been to do the research before getting it.

Now with well water, I'm not sure how great yours is or how stable it is but all the well waters I have tested (tested my parents to a great extent and even had multiple spots dug) it was very poor quality in the terms of fishkeeping, I would be cautious using well water for freshwater wouldn't begin to think about using it for salt.

Just my dos pesos worth.
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

From liveaquaria.com
      The Sea Cucumber, also known as the Edible Sea Cucumber, was first described by scientists in 1830. It has a long, pink to reddish-brown body, which is usually darker dorsally, often green or black.

It does well in a large aquariumifprovidedwith ample room to roam. Generally, for every 3 inches of sea cucumber there should be 20 gallons of water. It prefers a thick sandy substrate so it can scour through the sand for organic foods. The Sea Cucumber willspend most of its time in the open, though it may carry a thin film of sand over its body. It needs to be kept with peaceful tank mates. It is sensitive to high levels ofcopper-based medications and willnottolerate high nitrate levels.

While it does not have the toxic tubules of Culvier that many cucumbers have, if frightened, it might disgorge its interal organs into the tank, which may be toxic to fish. In the wild, these organs often regenerate, but rarely in an aquarium setting.

It is extremely difficult tobreed inan aquarium,and has no distinguishing characteristics tohelp differentiate it from its mate.

If not overstocked, the Sea Cucumber does not need supplemental feeding.
      Note it says in the wild they regenerate quickly but in an aquarium setting rarely

Comment

i did do research on it and found that my tank conditions would be appropriate enough...all i asked was what could have happening i understand about moving it ..obviously that is what i did ..i was asking you simple questions and all i got was throw it away like it was a piece of garbage ..after this post i will not be on this site again as i see you are truely not fish lovers ..if you had been you would ve been more caring about my fish...so i will be noting this unkind and cruel conversation to all my friends looking for a forum to go to to...as far as my tank ...you never asked about other fish or animals in the tank ..all you kept going on about was throw it away and your tank isnt cycled....................

Comment

A well cycled tank would not have spiked in nitrites.
          You listed no details of the tank nor posted pictures of what was going on so those that replied did to the best of their knowledge which is "cucumber dies, tank crashes".

Sorry that you have been offended but I feel the replies you received were well beyond and greatly informative in comparison to the question asked. I'm not gonna sugar coat it, vague questions get vague answers and those answers were not to your liking so in attempt to better help you we asked that you help us understand what is going on with your tank to the best of your knowledge and was still given nothing.

a cycled tank means everything when it comes to sensitive inverts/sw. They are less forgiving than freshwater.

Once again sorry for your hurt feelings and here's to a speedy recovery of your cucumber's anus.
          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Like ek said if that cucumber dies in your tank it will release toxins that can crash your tank and kill everything in your tank I've been in salt 1 1/2 now still don't know much but I do know its better to remove and throw away one fish/invert than loose the whole tank salt can be expensive and it would cost a lot to replace everything it was for the best of the tank and most people on forums would say the same thing honestly so the rest of your yank is not affected

Comment

Simon sorry for you feel that way but Ek did ask you at the beginning to give details of your tank, water params, and pics of what the cucumber. Everyone I know on here love fish and don't want to destroy them for no reason. But based on your small amount of information Ek suggested to get rid of the fish to protect the entirety of the system. After keeping fish for many years there is a point where you realize that a very sick fish is not worth keeping both to the life of everything else and for the suffering of it. This site has provided me and many people lots of information to improve the fish keeping quality. If you decide to leave I wish you the best on your endeavors.
              Resident fish bum
              330G FOWLR
              34G Reef
              330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
              28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
              Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Originally posted by simonssymfony View Post
                i did do research on it and found that my tank conditions would be appropriate enough...all i asked was what could have happening i understand about moving it ..obviously that is what i did ..i was asking you simple questions and all i got was throw it away like it was a piece of garbage ..after this post i will not be on this site again as i see you are truely not fish lovers ..if you had been you would ve been more caring about my fish...so i will be noting this unkind and cruel conversation to all my friends looking for a forum to go to to...as far as my tank ...you never asked about other fish or animals in the tank ..all you kept going on about was throw it away and your tank isnt cycled....................
                Whoa slow your roll... EK did ask you all these question you gave vague answers... Some times the needs of the many out way the needs of the few... Given the information you provided EK gave you the correct action to take...
                Mentally Challenged

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by simonssymfony View Post
                  after this post i will not be on this site again as i see you are truely not fish lovers.
                  This statement makes me laugh...
                  20g mixed reef

Comment

People have to realize this is a forum not a site by one person. So answers or ideas are that of the poster and doesn't reflect the opinions of all. Whether you agree with Ek or not whatever his opinion is is exactly that his opinion. And to make a blanket statement that no one on the box cares about a life is ignorant at best.
                    Resident fish bum
                    330G FOWLR
                    34G Reef
                    330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
                    28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
                    Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

When one of my prized wild caught geos was dying in the tank, everyone told me to do the same thing. It was sad but eventually I pulled her out into quarantine and she died a few days later. I still feel bad that she died but I have a healthy tank now with active and happy fish. In the medical field, we do the same thing with human beings... when one has a terrible and contagious disease, we quarantine that person to protect the rest of the continent from it. It just makes good sense.

I'm sorry you were offended and assure you no one intended for that to be the end result. Best of luck with your tank.
                      All bleeding stops eventually...

Comment

Originally posted by aquabee View Post
                        When one of my prized wild caught geos was dying in the tank, everyone told me to do the same thing. It was sad but eventually I pulled her out into quarantine and she died a few days later. I still feel bad that she died but I have a healthy tank now with active and happy fish. In the medical field, we do the same thing with human beings... when one has a terrible and contagious disease, we quarantine that person to protect the rest of the continent from it. It just makes good sense.

I'm sorry you were offended and assure you no one intended for that to be the end result. Best of luck with your tank.
                        Just imagine if all us boxers where in a room. And one of us had small pox or anthrax. What do you think would happen...
                        Mentally Challenged

My Flickr

Comment

Lol, EK would get flush.

OP, any updates? I was planning to get a sea cucumber too. :(
                          I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Originally posted by myjohnson View Post
                            Lol, EK would get flush.

OP, any updates? I was planning to get a sea cucumber too. :(
                            I don't think they are coming back...
                            Mentally Challenged

My Flickr

Comment

Let's flush EK!
                              All bleeding stops eventually...

Comment

I like how y'all instantly popped up out of no where to mob against me but when the OP had the problem it was but me and johnny boy trying to help.

Sigh... Y'ALL CAN ALL GO KICK ROCKS!
                                700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Working...
                                X