Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Painting the back of a tank. IYO what is the best color?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do I need to remove the fish.
    Out of the hobby for now..

Comment

I used royal blue spray paint on the back of my 125 from Ace Hardware and it looks great, even with blue colored fish. My favorite though is the white posterboard I let my kids draw their idea of an aquarium on. I got two pieces, cut it to lenght and width and taped it and then let them go at it with their colors. Taped to the back when done. It looks great and draws my kids to the tank even more.

Comment

Originally posted by Mandocruz06 View Post
        Do I need to remove the fish.
        If you use spray paint yo need to cover up the tank tightly. But if using a roller there is no need I've done it that way before
        Custom Aquarium Cabinets Justin Henry 281-739-8723

Comment

I used 2 cans of spray paint, outside, with a droplight in the tank to pinpoint the thin spots. Painted at night so the droplight idea would work.
          Use alcohol to clean the glass first.

I have used the foam pad in the past to do a black freshwater.
          39g Crypt/ anubias, wild shrimp and minnows.

55g Reef- first salt in many many years, coming along. Looking great, and stable. Garden mix of soft/lps corals. DIY refugeum

20g Reef- different than the first by design.

Comment

Black
            Don't blame me, I voted Ron Paul !!!

Comment

What ever color you like best I say. Its your tank do as you wish with it lol.
              Mentally Challenged

My Flickr

Comment

Black is the overall standard. It makes everything in the tank pop. There are some fish that do better in non-black tanks, like Discus and Seahorses. With a black background, they are driven to change color, and a crazy looking red seahorse will change black quickly behind a black background. Discus look almost sick when they darken up, but it's that they are blending in with the dominant color. For those fish blue is the general standard. I've seen white done, but that is a terrible idea. Tank inhabitants don't pop, and the first spec of algae will glow like the sun. For the most part, I would go with blue, but I've seen the seafoam green with some success.
                75 planted (Being Renovated)
                Endlers
                gobies
                lots of nanos

Comment

Working...
                X