Inheriting my step dad's 55g saltwater tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Inheriting my step dad's 55g saltwater tank

Well here is what I'm starting with. Not too bad, gonna change the substrate and add some more rock. Probably take the tang and a huge blue velvet damsel fish. The damsel is showing a lot of aggression and bullying a couple other fish. There are a few pieces of coral. Some purple star polyps, a clam, and another I can't remember the name. A weak attempt at a reef but its cool. The clam is showing good growth, he adds some kind of additive, I'll have to talk to him about it. The tank has a 4 bulb 48" wave point t5ho with the stock bulbs. I plan to add a hob overflow with a sump and skimmer, eventually. It has a hob filter, hob skimmer, and a canister filter.
    Attached Files
    20g mixed reef

Comment

Thats a great start, (I like that clam) .
      Don't tell fish stories where people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.
      Mark Twain

Comment

Well the big clam is just a shell, the smaller one next to it is the live one...
        20g mixed reef

Comment

lucky dog
          Mentally Challenged

My Flickr

Comment

Is it bad I'm thinking about selling my demasoni colony to fund this build?
            20g mixed reef

Comment

No its not bad I would sell all but one tank if I could have salt water :(
              Mentally Challenged

My Flickr

Comment

I actually have 3 demasoni fems that are currently holding.
                20g mixed reef

Comment

Well after looking around a bit, i found skimmer i would like to use. Hopefully going to get a Reef Octopus NWB-150. Rated for a 150g so if i ever upgrade, ill be covered. I decided to wait to build my sump until i have the skimmer so i can make sure the skimmer will fit properly along with my DIY filter sock holder. I will be building the sump to have a fuge. Ive been looking at sps and thinking about trying SPS again. Need to do some reading about dosing kalkwasser, as this is what ive been debating on using if i do decide to go sps. Probably wont be sps dominant, but would like a few decent sized colonies. Its a slow process, but should be underway soon.
                  20g mixed reef

Comment

It will be tight, very tight.
                    A 55 G is only 12" wide front to back, which means your sump can only be 10" wide or so. The foot print of a NWB150 is 9x12 or so. You will have no wiggle room.

I have a 125G and the NW150 skimmer and I only have a little room to adjust the outlet and to remove the skimmer when I need to clean it.

Comment

My sump will be a 29g and will stick out of the back of my stand which is perfectly fine with me. I'm sure I can make it work.
                      20g mixed reef

Comment

Well I got a wild hair and picked up a 50g shallow cube. So I'll be transferring everything to it once its set up. Came with stand, canopy, tank, sump, plumbing, and return pump.
                        20g mixed reef

Comment

Working...
                        X