Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mandarin Gobies- anyone know a good source?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mandarin Gobies- anyone know a good source?

Anyone know a good source for mandarin gobies (both spotted and blue)? I'd like to get a pair of each. Each pair will get a dedicated tank just for themselves (no other in habitants).
    Emerald Green Rainbowfish
    Yellow Rabbit Snails

Sorry just realized I posted in wrong discussion forum
    Yellow Rabbit Snails

Comment

I dont know about a consistent source but I know City Pets and Fish Gallery get them in from time to time.
      Resident fish bum
      330G FOWLR
      34G Reef
      330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
      28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
      Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Hopefully you have a sufficient pod population for mandarins. Most starve to death, but I'm sure you already knew this.

Mark
        What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

Originally posted by wesleydnunder View Post
          Hopefully you have a sufficient pod population for mandarins. Most starve to death, but I'm sure you already knew this.

Mark
          I'm working on a pod population. But I've got a tank just dedicated to enriched brine shrimp (I use them for my licorice gouramis and wild bettas). I'm working on one for mysis shrimp. This is with the hopes I'll train them to eat frozen at some point, if not I'll keep feeding live. It should be about as hard as feeding seahorses and pipefish. I just gotta give these guys a try again. I had some 12 years ago. There were two in a 40 gallon (fish only with fuge) with 3 box fish for over 1 year, until my boxfish NUKED my tank (at least I think that's what killed everything). I got them to eat bloodworms and frozen shrimp. I was told that was luck. I really didn't know much about them. I didn't even know they weren't gobies at the time.
          My wife is the driving force behind this one. She fell in love with a target goby she saw at Fish Gallery.
          She wants me to start keeping fish she can "see" (In other words not another nano tank). I was hesitant about keeping them, until I heard that they were captive breeding some. I don't like keeping anything that has no hope of breeding in captivity. This should be a cool challenge. Or a big mistake.
          Yellow Rabbit Snails

Comment

ORA has successfully bred both blue and spotted mandarin gobies. They are suppose to be weened to frozen food already but mines didn't take a liking to frozen food too much. But luckly he went to work on the pods. I got an ORA spotted madarin over at city pets for 35, but i think the price has gone up. They can only order 2 at a time so you might wanna call them up and reserve one or a pair. They can get blue mandarins too.

I don't know if you'll be able to "see" the Mandarins. If its hungry it'll go into your rockwork and you won't see him for a while. Im lucky if I can see mines once or twice a day. I feed mines Nutramar Ova prawn eggs and rods food every now and then. I don't know if its actually eatting it but I squirt some into the rockwork and pray. lol

City Pets, Fish Gallery, and FJW Aquarium can all get you either of the ORA. Or if you want to try wild caught then City Pets has them from time to time. But not at the moment.

Godspeed and let us know how they do.

Comment

Working...
            X