Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BUyin non agressive fish that stay under 7in for outdoor pond without heater.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BUyin non agressive fish that stay under 7in for outdoor pond without heater.

Just moved into new house with a pond i have always been intrested in fish. Yes i have done my research talked to trusted sellers at lfs. Im looking into anything from baitfish to hardy guppies(if those exist).And does anyone know if cherry shrimp will survive winters in houston outside without a heater the pond is 2ft deep below ground.

Originally posted by koi View Post
    Just moved into new house with a pond i have always been intrested in fish. Yes i have done my research talked to trusted sellers at lfs. Im looking into anything from baitfish to hardy guppies(if those exist).And does anyone know if cherry shrimp will survive winters in houston outside without a heater the pond is 2ft deep below ground.
    You will prolly still need a heater in the winter, or to at least cover the pond with plastic and get a heat lamp. I have tons of guppies, platties, and swordtails that live outside. I have never fully wintered them in my ponds, but as long as you took certain precautions I dont see why they wouldn't. If your looking for baitfish, the easiest thing would be Gambusia (mosquito fish), you can catch them in about any bar ditch or water way. I wouldnt risk it on the cherry shrimp thing..might be too drastic of a living area for them to survive...but you never know until you try.

Let me know if you decide to go with guppies ect...I have tons I can send ya for cheap, and they are pretty darn tough, have to be to live with me..I won't keep weak fish, nor sell them.
    BEWARE Guard GUPPIES On Duty!

Comment

other than gambusia .you might try florida flag fish or wild caught green sailfin mollies both great fish.and they will winter here. you can catch the mollies local.

Comment

cherry shrimp are not hardy enough to survive a -40 night in a pond 2ft deep. I doubt you will ever see them anyhow, because of their size. If you are looking for shrimp, ghost shrimp live around here, so they would be good candidates. Let me know if you are interested in Mosquitos, Mollies, or ghost shrimp. I can get you all you need for super cheap.
        75 planted (Being Renovated)
        Endlers
        gobies
        lots of nanos

Comment

Sea agg You're all the way in galveston and i really only go down to galveston for the beach/schlitterbahn.Unless you have business up here and you wanna stop buy pm me on prices.And yeh i've heard about ghost shrimp for ponds but i was thinking cherry shrimp because its said the breed easier.But what ever.Another thing about the heater which one is the cheapest and most energy efficient?

Comment

Sea agg You're all the way in galveston and i really only go down to galveston for the beach/schlitterbahn.Unless you have business up here and you wanna stop buy pm me on prices.And yeh i've heard about ghost shrimp for ponds but i was thinking cherry shrimp because its said the breed easier.But what ever.Another thing about the heater which one is the cheapest and most energy efficient?
            Dont let the distance for some of us detour you...there are a good amount of us here on HFB that can ship stuff to you for cheap...I ship out about 8-20 boxes of fish each week via USPS priority, and do just fine on cost efficiancy and live arrival. Or, if you come to any of the meetings, there are a bunch of people more then willing to help and assist you in any way.

Comment

Oh thanks im new i just joined yesterday.Cause an 1 1/2 drive cost alot of money with the gas nowdays and i wouldnt drive that far for just a couple of fishes(depends).

Comment

Oh thanks im new i just joined yesterday.Cause an 1 1/2 drive cost alot of money with the gas nowdays and i wouldnt drive that far for just a couple of fishes(depends).
                I would say "if your interested" but the choice is yours. PM me and I can quote you a price on some nice hardy fishes..as I am clearing out some of my outdoor tubs, and selling them for pretty cheap.

Comment

Yeh im interested i sent you a pm idk if you got it or not

Comment

Gold Shiners
                    PLECOS SUCK!

https://www.facebook.com/NickInTex1970

Comment

Working...
                    X