Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you sure 10 Dollars for gravel? Where did you buy gravel from for that cheap the landscape store i go to sells 1dollar for a gallon

Comment

Originally posted by koi View Post
      Are you sure 10 Dollars for gravel? Where did you buy gravel from for that cheap the landscape store i go to sells 1dollar for a gallon
      I own a small landscaping business....was probably getting my usual discount that day. I get them by the bag ($4 for what weighs 80+ lbs). HD will sell you some for $3.something / 40#. You could use anything similar.....just looking for surface area to grow beneficial bacteria and to hold down plants and let them root. Lava rocks or even plastic would work as far as I can tell. Places sell those "bio-balls" and shredded plastic stuff......same principle.
      I used some larger rocks that I already had and then 2 bags of river pebbles (gravel)....filled to about 8" from the top. Settling chamber at the bottom is 3" or so (it is the tote lid w/ holes drilled in it and blocked up by bricks). I installed a valve to drain it out from time to time....another valve to let the water in from the pump.
      If you would like to see this in action, you can come by. Also, as the landscaping season is about over......I have lots of time if I can help you with this.
      I am figuring and will offer pond packages next year as part of my business....this year was for experimenting. I learned a lot about what works and doesn't work.

Comment

Where is your business? Could you give me a price list of items? I need more rocks and stuff etc soon because im redoing my pond.

Comment

Where is your business? Could you give me a price list of items? I need more rocks and stuff etc soon because im redoing my pond.
          I am based in Deer Park.....office is in my home. Just get with me about what it is you are wanting to use and I will see what I can get it for you for......maybe less, maybe not. I do have places that discount.
          I would not feel right using this forum as a platform for advertising.........just PM me when you have some ideas of what you want.

Comment

Oh Another thing I have now decided to make an external bog filter but the problem is drilling holes for the fittings. My drill doesnt work anymore and i dont need one. So anyone wanna drill holes for me?

Comment

oldsgirl how much gph is your pump?

Comment

I dont know- Bought it from a coworker who has huge amazing ponds built in a similar style as mine, and he said it would be good for it
                I'm in Deer Park/Pasadena as well, if anyone wanted to come see how mine's set up.

Also, as for drilling holes- My setup doesn't have anything drilled- the hose goes from the pump (which is in the water on the opposite side from the waterfall) the up and over the top of the bog filter, and is hooked to the distribution bar at the bottom of the bog filter. If you're using a 55 ga drum (is that what you said on here earlier?) I'd just run a pvc extension up to the top of the barrel, and hook the hose there. Drilling seems like more chance of leaks.

Comment

Oldsgirl getting water in isnt a problem but going out is idk how to get water out without drilling

Comment

lol, riiiiight.... sorry about missing the obvious- I've been eyeballs deep writing a paper all evening.

I guess drill a hole (borrow or by a new drill?) or use a saw to cut a section of the rim lower, and fabricate some sort of platform to make the waterfall a little more neat?

Sorry- I don't have any better ideas right now- my brain is full :(

Comment

Haha ok. I guess i need to find someone with a drill

Comment

Haha ok. I guess i need to find someone with a drill
                        Just my two cents......cut the barrel in half long ways (more area for planting). Bury it part way in the ground at the 4' side of the pond. Plumb it accordingly.....water in from the bottom, spray bar, etc. About 6 inches from the top drill holes and use pvc to drain it back into the pond.
                        That would give a nice area for bog plants.....23"x35" or so.
                        Then, you will have the beginning of your next pond filter as well.....

I will help you with this in exchange for the pictures of the building process.....I think I could use this for advertising. One plan I have for next year is to offer low maintenance (as low as possible anyway), attractive ponds for people that are not wanting to spend a lot of money (or are not able).

Comment

Haha alright I wont be building until late winter like febuary so i'll talk to you then

Comment

There are three different types of pond filtration: biological, mechanical and chemical. To ensure that all bases are covered, this is a good idea to buy a filter, you can do all three. Once your filter is installed, you should not do more maintenance to maintain their normal work.
                            Pond Pumps

Comment

Working...
                            X