Help have a built in skimmer can it be remove

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanted: Help have a built in skimmer can it be remove

I bought a 75gallon salt water tank has a built in skimmer like a box inside of my tank.i am going to use it for fresh water and want to remove it but I am afraid I might crack glass does someone known how to do it will pay call me or tex @ 281-881-2406
    Manoba123. Spring,tx

Can you post some pictures?

Comment

sounds like a all in one tank to me. Unless you're talking about the sump.

Comment

@ rage don't known how to download pic from my I phone to fishbox lol.send me cell # and I'll tex you pic
        Manoba123. Spring,tx

Comment

@ ometh friend of mine said there's a guy on fishbox who reseal tanks and built stand you known his name??
          Manoba123. Spring,tx

Comment

if it's just a black acrylic box with teeth at the top and it is simply siliconed to the glass then yes absolutely, your tank would be what is called "reef ready" so it has all of the connections and holes to be connected to an external sump. If this is the case, all you need to do is run a sharp knife along the silicone seals on both sides, then with a little bit of a tug, it'll come right off, don't worry about scratching the glass with your knife, you'd have to take a good swing to do any damage with a steel blade. once the overflow box is removed, you'll need some way of blocking off the holes which are drilled inside the box, you can pick up those seals from home depot or city pets etc. the only downside to this is you will have to spend a good deal of time removing the silicone from the glass once removed. but that is simply a matter of perseverance. i am in the middle of dismantling a reef-ready tank myself in prep for replacing the bottom panel, i'll be drilling those holes and re-attaching the overflow box myself, i consider my silicon skills quite good if you want me to drop by and give you a hand. if however you have something like a bio-cube/nano-cube, that back wall is pretty much built into the tank, and to be honest, there is very little advantage to removing the back boxes, you could run it as is as a fresh tank....you could run a reef ready tank with the overflow if you wanted, just depends on how you want you tank set-up!

Comment

Big pink I have a 135 gallon reef ready with two overflows one on each corner.i was able to remove over glow box OT had silicone on each corner and I plug hole with ball valves. This tank has overflow box but corner had no silicone looks like middle of the back of box might have it.and there's no holes drill on my tank
              Manoba123. Spring,tx

Comment

Sorry typo
                Manoba123. Spring,tx

Comment

Big pink if you can remove it I'll pay you I am afraid I might crack glass need a professional can u call me to arrange 282-881-2406
                  Manoba123. Spring,tx

Comment

Them phone # is 281-881-2406
                    Manoba123. Spring,tx

Comment

I've pinged you a text....thats strange that it has a builtin overflow but no drains or returns...hmm, maybe ometh was correct and it's an AIO, see if you can get that pic to my phone, it'll make it a bit easier to work out what we're dealing with here :-)

Comment

Originally posted by BiGPiNK View Post
                        I've pinged you a text....thats strange that it has a builtin overflow but no drains or returns...hmm, maybe ometh was correct and it's an AIO, see if you can get that pic to my phone, it'll make it a bit easier to work out what we're dealing with here :-)
                        haha that is strange. It might even be one of those acrylic tanks that has the built in wet/dry to in instead of having to use an under tank sump.

Comment

Yeah, that's a strange one to say the least, that's like a 75 gallon, pentagon, all in one! very wierd! very rare i'm betting! in all honesty from what i can see that looks like a whole acrylic back plate which is sitting in front of a glass pane, can you send me a pic of inside the tank, where the blue back ground on the RIGHT meets the glass on the side??

Comment

The way it sounds it, it sound like a SeaClear 2 aquarium.

Comment

it does kinda look like a seaclear, but the seaclear covers the entire back of the tank and appears to be all acrylic, this looks like a custom seaclear clone built with an aga 75 pent. the box only covers one corner of the tank. it doesn't appear to be a seaclear, but it does look like a VERY high quality custom made insert.

Comment

Working...
                              X