Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanted: Lf: Peat moss

Hi guys,

I'm looking for some peat moss. If anyone has any or knows where I can find some, that would be great!

I need something to keep my aquarium pH down and stay stable. If you know any methods that have worked for you, please share as well!

Thanks!

Wondering if you could just some peat moss found at a gardening center? You would just have to make sure it was not terated and 'organic'. Also, Ive seen at City Pets a peat insert for ehiems.
    30Long: L134 Leopard Frog Plecos X16, Corydoras Sterbai X9, Endlers X4

Small ADA nano (~8gal): ... BKK or OEBT breeding tank in the works!

75g Craigslist Special: In the works...

Comment

If you are using this for water params I would suggest looking into IndianAlmondLeaves or Alder cones.

I have about 100 spare alder cones that should bring most large tanks down to acidic params once they started working.

I have a few leaves with about 5 cones in my 30g and it has brought my pH down from 8.0-8.2 tapwater to 6.0-6.4.
      LMK if you have something to trade or whatever.
      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply TexSun! I was thinking about trying to get some at Home Depot as well, but I am unsure how to use it properly. Can you share some of your tips and experiences?

Thanks!

Comment

I was always told not to use moss cuz it decays. I always used granulated peat. Fluval and eheim make some I have seen the former at pet smart and the latter only on eBay these days. That being said, if it were me I would try the alder cones
          75G Standard - High Light Planted Community Fish
          28G Aquapod - Medium Light Planted Shrimp & Microrasboras
          12G Eclipse - Bonsai Planted Betta & Shrimp
          29G Standard - Vivarium w/ Red Devil Crabs
          45G Exo-Terra - Terrarium w/ Hermit Crabs (in progress)
          33G Cubish - Vivarium w/ D.auratus 'blue & bronze'

GHAC Member

Comment

you can also use peat planter cups. from home depot.
            Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

I use peat moss for orchids that I buy from Home Depot. I put it in a nylon stocking and stick it in the filter. Works like a charm and CHEAP!!!!!
              Thanks so much,
              Lydia
              409-499-1279

Comment

Originally posted by Totenkampf View Post
                I was always told not to use moss cuz it decays.
                Isn't that what the cones & leaves would being doing anyways? Just a much slower rate?

Comment

EK: I'm I need of some IAL if you could spare some it would greatly appreciated. I have things to trade & the green stuff of course. Thanks.

Comment

I don't have any or many IAL leaves to spare do have quite a bit of alder cones though.
                    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Originally posted by eklikewhoa View Post
                      If you are using this for water params I would suggest looking into IndianAlmondLeaves or Alder cones.

I have about 100 spare alder cones that should bring most large tanks down to acidic params once they started working.

I have a few leaves with about 5 cones in my 30g and it has brought my pH down from 8.0-8.2 tapwater to 6.0-6.4.
                      LMK if you have something to trade or whatever.
                      I'd love to trade with you. I don't know what you may need though. I'll trade you a bucket full of lava rocks? If not, just let me know how much you would like for them. I just need enough for a 10 gallon tank and maybe some extra for future use.

Also, do I just place them in the aquarium? Is there anything special that I have to do? THANKS SO MUCH!

Comment

What size are the lava rocks?
                        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

They range from fist size to a twice your fist :)

Comment

A 5g bucket full?
                            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

It feels this exact bucket. 2.5 gallon. If you don't want, I can just buy the cones off of you :) Whatever you prefer.

Comment

Working...
                              X