This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: In Search of a quiet cannister filter for 150G

The XP3 are kind of noisy, at least that is my experience.

Comment

I think using one powerful filter is a lot more effiency than 2 or three smaller canisters. Priority thing is the flow rate, and then canister space is second. Stronger flow rate circulates the tank better and the filter itself lasts longer. The weaker pump will easily stop and becomes failure when much of the waste materials cause the blockage in the tube. However, strong pump will eventually break through the blockage, and reduce the change of weakening.

A realistic example of the canister filter is the human heart. Athletic's heart pumps stronger and will less likely to become failure. On the other hand, in fastfood lovers and smokers' hearts, most of the chambers, veins, and arteries will be smaller, due to the cholesterol and bad stuffs forming layers around. In time, the lblood flow will reduce, and people die from stroke.

Back to the topic, I would highly recommend Ehiem 2262 or Flural X5.
      100 gal- java fern windelov,anubia petite,xmas moss, crypt,val, sword, riccia fluitans, Sagittaria subulata
      30 gal:e.tenellus,hygrophila wavy,acicularis vivapara,Limnophila aquatica,Hygrophila corymbosa,Hydrocotyle(praecox rainbow,Celestial PD

Comment

i have both 2250 and 2260.. both quiet.

Comment

lol well you know im not lazy/ but i think either ehiems or Renas would be ok, but i would suggest 2 slightly smaller ones instead of the one large, because it spreads the flow and gets better cleaning. with only one input you miss a whole lot of stuff but with two you will get more. either way they are both quiter then magnum which is in my opinion not a true canister. because it doesnt have layers and it doesnt filter and pump by pushing water like most due because the impellor is in the bottom. anyway either ehiem or rena/ i have never never never heard anyone complain about and ehiem really/ they are just not cheap. since you have been messing with that 150 for a while i think you should be able to scrounge enough for a few ehiems for that big boy. as soon as your in wall is up and running smooth i will have some different fry and stuff for you. you are number one on my list for cyp fry Ken, and Hey i need some more business cards cuss i keep having to write the site down for people at work.
          Never fear I is here
          David Abeles
          Vice President
          Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

Have a Fluval FX5 on my 300g and it does a great job and very quiet.

Carry a bzillon tetras in there w/ large discus, a doz cories & bristlenose &  shrimps.      Wonderful filtration / no worries .    

Am doubling the large discus count so  adding another FX5 due to tank size [8'L x 2' W x 30"H]  &  the fact there is x-large driftwood pieces that do hinder direction of  circulation.     The duel head to direct water flow is a big plus.   Really like the instant priming.

Haven't had the pleasure of using Eheim but comments have been very good on it also.
            "There will come a time when you have a chance to do the right thing."
            "I love those moments. I like to wave at them as they pass by. "
            -Dead Man's Chest

Comment

If I was setting something up over 100 gallons I would use a FX5. I haven't heard anything bad about them, and they push something like 950 GPH.
              So many things can be a mystery, when all we're seeking is freedom...

Comment

OK, got it. thank you. I think I'm going to go with 2 eheim 2215's. Now, does anyone know where I can get something on the cheap?

Comment

You could use the online route or I know Houston Aquatics on N Shepherd has good prices on Eheims.  I'll bet someone here may have one or two they are looking to rehome as well.
                  Reasoning with some people is like trying to nail jello to a wall...

Comment

2-xp3= 6 media trays and 700gph $220
                    1-xp4= 4 media trays and 450gph $200

hmmm.......two outputs on opposing sides of the tank along with two intakes....vs. a single output and intake....I think two will do a much better job at keeping the tank circulated, host at least 2trays worth of media that you could clean and not worry about shocking beneficial bacteria and then there is the higher gph.......
                    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

City Pets is also hard to beat for local eheims......I know there are a few Pro series FS threads floating around as well.
                      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

The Eheim Pro II that I purchased from net1 is very quiet and has a large canister that you can cram several types of media into.  The baskets make it very convenient to service.
                        I have it paired with a classic 2217 Eheim on my 135G and hear no noise from either filter.
                        Drew

Comment

You still have not responded to what fish your keeping here, but in all honestly, (2) 2215's is marginal at best in a tank this size.
                          380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
                          300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
                          180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
                          150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

I would say that a pair of 2217's would still be marginal in a tank that size.  I'm looking to get another 2215 for my 55, I couldn't imagine that being enough for a 150.

2 pennies worth as usual....

Comment

i think 2 Rena XP 3's would be a little more cost effecient, but i do like Ehiem too, either way a little over filter is a lot better then under. Last i heard Ken was gonna do a Tang tank. if that is the case Over filtering would be much better. Also he hasnt said whether or not there will be plants in the tank, because that always helps. of course Geoff if he has tropheus in there that wont really be an option
                              Never fear I is here
                              David Abeles
                              Vice President
                              Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

My buddy has an XP3 on his 125 and it stays spotless with about 15 fish in it.  I could imagine a pair of them handling that like a dream even with a big group of Tangs.

Comment

Working...
                                X